The best minestrone soup
Use your favorite noodles in this minestrone soup recipe and pack in the protein with kidney beans! Delicious with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a side of garlic bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150 g bacon (finely chopped)
- 1 Onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 700 g crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock/broth low sodium
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 400 canned kidney beans(drained)
- 1 teaspoon EACH salt and pepper
- 1 Cup small pasta(like ditalini tiny shells risoni/orzobaby macaroni alphabet
- 1⁄4 Cup parmesan(grated)
MINESTRONE VEGETABLES (NOTE 1)
- 1 celery rib
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced 2cm
- 1 zucchini
- 1 potato
- 100 g green beans
- 60 g baby spinach or frozen spinach
FOR SERVING - OPTIONAL
- more parmesan
- Chopped parsley
- Crusty bread for dunking!
Heat oil over high heat in a very large pot.Add bacon, cook until starting to turn golden (~2 min) then add garlic and onion.Cook until onion is translucent and bacon is light golden ~ 2minutes.
Add carrot, celery and zucchini. Stir for 1 minute to coat in flavour.
Add crushed tomato, chicken stock, water, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, kidney beans, salt and pepper.Stir, bring to simmer, then place lid on and adjust heat so it's simmering gently.
Simmer 20 minutes, then add potato and beans.
Simmer 5 minutes, then add pasta. Cook for time per pasta packet MINUS 1 1/2 minutes.
Remove from stove, stir through parmesan and baby spinach. Taste and adjust for salt and pepper.
Serve, garnished with extra parmesan and a sprinkle of parsley if desired. Warm crusty bread on the side would certainly be the cherry on top!