The perfect Chicken Sweetcorn Soup For Big & Little Kids
Nothing warms the soul more than a bowl of hearty chicken soup, and this one is a family favourite… it’s even kid-approved! I like to pack in some extra vegies too with a healthy dose of cauliflower for even more goodness.
- 8 cups basic chicken stock
- head cauliflower (cut into florets)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 cups shredded chicken from the basic chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon corn flour (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoon mixed with water
- 2 eggs(beaten)
- to taste sea salt
- sliced spring onion (scallions) to serve
Basic chicken stock
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 cloves garlic(crushed)
- 2 spring onions (scallions)
- 4 cm pieces ginger(sliced)
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp (optional)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
To make the basic chicken stock, place all the ingredients in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add enough water to just cover the chicken. Bring to a simmer.
Place the 8 cups of basic chicken stock in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower and 1½ cups of the corn (keep half a cup for later). Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft. Blend the soup until smooth.
Then place the soup back on the heat. Add the remaining corn and chicken. Then stir through the corn flour mixture. And simmer for a minute until thickened slightly
Then slowly drizzle in the egg. Cook for a further minute. Then taste the soup and season with salt to taste. Divide among serving bowls and top with spring onion.